Giving is highly personal and a reflection of our values. Here are some tips for you to consider as you are making your decisions for year-end giving. We celebrate the impact you’re making on our community and the world through your donations! Please reach out to us if you need any assistance.
- Make it count for 2019. Credit card donations can be made until midnight on December 31. Be sure the postage for any donations has a 2019 date.
- Consider giving stock. Do you have highly appreciated stock? You may be able to donate it and receive a charitable deduction for the current value and avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation. Stocks and other appreciated assets like IRAs can take some time to transfer, so reach out to the nonprofit of your choosing today, or give to the Community Foundation by contacting Katie Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be tax-smart with your IRA. Donors who are 72 or older can direct all or part of the IRS’ required annual minimum distribution (up to $100,000 per individual) from a traditional IRA to a nonprofit. You’ll reduce your taxable income while simultaneously benefitting our community. Learn more >
- Don’t restrict your gifts. Too often, nonprofit organizations are unable to respond to emerging needs, because their funding is tied to specific programs and projects. Even more troubling, they’re unable to plan strategically for the future. Consider making a general or unrestricted donation to your favorite organizations to maximize impact.
- Start a Donor Advised Fund. Donor-Advised Funds are a vehicle that encourages tax-smart giving and philanthropic planning. They give you the ability to make a single donation and then grant for years to come. Learn more >
Make your year end gift today!